Christmas crime is an unfortunate reality for many who become victims of opportunistic thieves so, while you're busy putting all the finishing touches to your holiday preparations, ensuring your home is properly protected should be a priority.
The Christmas period traditionally sees a sharp increase in domestic burglary, with criminals targeting homes they see to be vulnerable. To avoid being a victim, with 8 days to Christmas here are 8 tips for protecting your home this holiday season, wherever you may be.
Out & About
- It may be difficult, but be careful not to become distracted when laden down with bags as this makes you an easy target for pickpockets. Ensure your handbag or wallet is secure and keep cell phones out of sight. Keep your cheque book and credit cards separate, and avoid carrying too much cash or leaving valuables in your car.
- December is normally a month filled with celebrations and social events, so beware leaving your belongings unattendedand make sure someone knows where you are going and what time you will be back.
- Although we love showing off our Christmas trees and our colourfully decorated homes, this can also act as a beacon for thieves ready to take some of your hard earned loot. Close your blinds or partially restrict views into potentially high yield areas inside your home, such as openly visible large flat screen TVs or sound systems.
- If you go out in the evening, leave some lights on, but not your Christmas tree lights as these are a frequent cause of fires.
- If you are going on vacation, put an automatic timer on lights and don’t forget to cancel your paper.
- When the festivities are over, recycle your rubbish and don't leave boxes in plain sight as burglars wil be on the look-out for top of the range equipment worth breaking-in for!
- Delivery personnel will not ask to enter your home and charity collectors will not be offended if you ask to see their ID.
- If you have a home security alarm system, make using it a priority and be diligent in setting it even when leaving your home to run last minute errands. Also update your alarm system signage to deter thieves and let them know your property is protected, as is the case for commercial security. You can further save on home insurance with significant discounts for homes monitored by a reputable security provider.
Peace of mind at a cost of less than a cup of coffee a day! Wishing you and yours a happy and crime-free Christmas, and a prosperous New Year.