Halloween Safety Tips
As we step into October and the leaves start to turn red, the air brings a promise of the trending sensation that is Halloween. Each year on October 31, many people gather to dress up in costumes, attend events, and roam the streets ‘trick or treating’ with their children. This time of fun also boasts a day of big crowds and considerable public activity, something to be wary of as a security professional whether you are celebrating Halloween or not.
During the weekend leading up to Halloween and on the 31st, be cautious of how busy the streets in your neighbourhood will get. Public spaces can especially get busy at night when working in a downtown area. It is important to follow these safety tips and crowd management best practices while on patrol, especially on predictably busy occasions:
- Be friendly but firm. As a Security Officer, people will view you as their source of help and safety. It is essential to remain customer-service oriented by communicating in a friendly yet firm tone. This will allow for smoother interactions. When loud noises and movement surround people, they may become overstimulated. It is important to display a helpful, calm, and confident attitude.
- Always act calm as an authority figure. By setting an example with a calm and orderly demeanour, you can aid those around you in remaining orderly.
- Utilize your collaborative skills by getting help when you need it. If you feel that a situation may benefit by getting backup or requires extra support, it is essential to reach out to your security team or available emergency services.
Safety on the Roads: Mobile Patrol
As a Mobile Patrol Officer, you may receive more callouts during this time of the year. This may range from anything to do with increased activity to assist with crowd control. Whatever the case is, before arriving on the scene, it is essential to be aware of the unusual road conditions you may encounter:
- On Halloween, the number of vehicle-pedestrian incidents can increase significantly. As a safety measure, you may need to drive more cautiously. Stay alert for unpredictable pedestrian behaviour on the roads, and look out for small children. Some Halloween costume choices tend to be composed of darker colours, so you may not see some people as clearly at night.
- Halloween may cause a rise in impaired drivers. If any vehicle appears to be operated by impaired drivers, follow security protocols and call for support.
- Keeping these factors and your security training in mind, drive as safely as possible while prioritizing security duties.
Safety at Home: Fire Hazards
As many houses are decorated with fun scenes, pumpkins, and glowing lights, fire hazard risks tend to increase around this time of year. Avoid open flames, exposed electrical outlets, and opt for waterproof tea lights and solar-powered garden-safe string lights instead. If you notice your neighbourhood trending in hazardous decor, kindly suggest alternatives. Keep an eye out for fire hazards and in case of an emergency, call the fire department or 911.
Be Extra Cautious
Halloween has been a night of extravagant costumes and thrilling decor for many years, but in some cases, it can also be a day with potential spikes in criminal activity. Dress-up day might provide a chance to perform unwanted behaviour under a veil of anonymity. Someone walking around in a mask on the day-to-day may seem off to us, but on Halloween, they look like any other person.
To avoid unwanted activities in your home or neighbourhood:
- Leave your lights on, especially when you are out of the house.
- Keep your doors and windows locked, even when you are at home.
- Keep an eye out for suspicious behaviour, such as lurking.
- Hide any valuables out of sight.
Whether you celebrate Halloween or not, it is important to stay alert while still having fun and enjoying the night for what it is!
If you are interested in starting a meaningful and rewarding career in security, check out our careers page. There are endless opportunities to create your own career path with Paladin's Promotion-from-within Philosophy.
Ready to jumpstart your career in security? Here is a downloadable template and helpful guide on how to write the ideal Security Guard resume.